Sidney and Paul last day together at La Giraudiere

Sidney and Paul’s last day together.

Today, Monday the 22nd February 2016, has been a very long day at La Giraudiere. Sidney had his breakfast at 7.00, much earlier than normal. After his breakfast he tried to make it to the door but failed as he has been doing so for the last week.

After clearing up, Sidney spent the morning inside dozing and then waking up and checking on me and then dozing off again and this was how the first part of the morning passed. I telephoned the vets office whom informed me the vet would be passing in the afternoon and not the morning.

Sidney's last Sunday at La Giraudiere

Sidney’s last Sunday at La Giraudiere

For Lunch Sidney had one of his favorite sardines on toast and the same for me. After lunch Sidney let me know he wanted to go out and with my help we made it to the grass just across the road from the gate. He covered up many of his rivals marks stumbling in between but knowing I would get him back on his feet.

At 3.00 the phone went again and it was the secretary from the vet saying the vet would be passing between 4.00 and 5.00, this is going to be the longest hour or two of my life.
It is so difficult not showing Sidney how up set I am about what is planned although I think he knows exactly as he will not let me out of his sight for a moment.

We waited outside of the gites on the grass together with neighbors passing by. Every time I hear a car or vehicle I start to fill up and say to myself I have to stay strong for Sidney.

At 5.20 the vet arrived and by 5.30 Sidney was asleep in my arms and by 5.40 the vet said that Sidney had left us. I knew he had gone as I had my hand on his heart throught out and now it was no longer beating but he was still warm. I gave him his last hugs and I closed his eyes as he had been looking at me throughout.

The vet helped me carry Sidney to his resting place I then asked the vet to leave me alone with Sidney so I could finish what needed to be done. I placed Sidney in his favorite blanket and placed him in the sleeping position he always preferred.

With the sun setting and piercing through the dark clouds above, it starts to rain, only a little, as though the Charente sky is weeping. I feel so empty I have not just lost my dog I have lost my best friend and partner. I finished burying Sidney at 11.00 pausing several times in between.

Sidney a beach lover finds the next best thing

Sidney a beach lover finds the next best thing

La Giraudiere will never seem the same, It feels so empty here at this present time. My sole consolation is Sidney now sleeps with no pain and will remain at La Giraudiere.

For those visiting this blog for the first time; Sidney was a black Labrador who was born on the 1st November 2001 just outside the village of Chaunay which is 10 kilometers north of Ruffec in Charente. His father was from England and his mother was French apparently Sidney was the result of a holiday romance.

His registration name was Sydney Souks but I changed it to Sidney Socks. Apart from 4 weeks of Holidays in Spain and England Sidney passed his life at La Giraudiere in Brossac in the department of Charente France. His main job there was welcoming visitors, volunteers and interns from around the world.


Sidney summer 2015 passing time with volunteers from USA and Canada

About La Giraudiere

The whole idea of the La Giraudiere project is for people of all backgrounds, all ages, all nationalities to have the chance to live together learn about each others lifestyle exchange their knowledge, experiences and skills whilst living and working together in France and at the same time helping, improving and adding to the Project for those to come in the future. To see the different types of volunteers work that has been done and what is still required visit our website
This entry was posted in Labrador and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.